DEAR SOPHIE

LETTERS TO MY SERVICE DOG ... The link to my personal blog, WENDY-LAND, is listed at right.

08 August 2012

We Sure Didn't See This Coming

Dear Sophie,
Part Two of catching up finds a few more white hairs on my head and, after this, I'm surprised there are any more red ones.
As we do every year after the reunion trip, we visited the vet for your annual vaccines and a check-up.  You had a few little bumps I wanted checked out, and we needed to make sure your shoulders were still in good shape.
On that Friday afternoon, the little bump I wanted to show the doctor was gone but, in looking for it, I found one on your side that hadn't been there before!  Considering all the time I spend with my hands on you, I wouldn't have missed this one if it had been there for long.  The vet didn't like it either so she sent in a needle biopsy of it.
Four very long days later on Tuesday afternoon, that obscene six-letter word made my stomach sink.  Cancer.  The vet wouldn't know its depth until she could operate, but it was serious and needed to get taken care of right now.  Blood work on Wednesday preceded surgery on Thursday.
There's no debating that prayer is powerful!  When we dropped you off at the animal hospital, I fully expected to dissolve into tears in the van, but I didn't!  Trusting the hospital staff's promise to call if anything went wrong, I actually went home and took a good long nap.  The peace throughout this whole ordeal was incredible, especially the way I always worry about everything!  I awoke to an e-mail from the vet with attached pictures of you about one hour post-op, so I could see for myself you were all right.  And in just a couple of minutes, I talked to the doctor and you were cleared to go home anytime, with thirteen staples closing up your six-inch incision.
You did amazingly well all weekend.  I kept you quiet and resting all weekend with your fox and your blanky but, after those few days, you were acting like nothing ever happened!
The best news came on Tuesday morning ... the pathology report came back.  Yep, the vet got all the cancer!
I really worried this might end your career as a service dog but, after only a few days, I knew you'd still be going at it.  It was hard to keep you down.  You were ready to play and couldn't understand why I wouldn't let you.
Finally, yesterday, only four weeks after diagnosis, just three and a half weeks after surgery, you were back in harness and out for a three-hour work.  Granted, it was nothing strenuous, but still downright amazing!
As an incidental bonus, I didn't even have to shave your hair or trim it back.  No one would even see your boo-boo unless they're looking for it.  Guess that's one of the benefits of being a long-haired dog.
You and I had so many prayers going up for us, Sophie, and we felt and experienced ... and so immensely appreciated ... each one.  Truly, we came through this on angel's wings.

10 Comments:

  • At 14:05, Blogger wheels said…

    Such a brave girl. Buffy says hi and that she hopes you continue to get better. Oh, she would like to play with you off duty.

     
  • At 18:19, Anonymous wheels said…

    "Buffy would love to stop by and play with Sophie once she is up to it."

     
  • At 23:19, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am glad to hear that all the cancer is gone, what a scare.

     
  • At 23:19, Anonymous Becki said…

    I'm so glad that Sophie is doing so well. We will miss seeing her at the reunion though.

     
  • At 23:20, Anonymous Carolyn said…

    Thanks so much for the updates on Sophie. Gosh, I love that dog. She really has become one with you, wouldn’t you say?

     
  • At 23:21, Anonymous Joyce said…

    Guess there is no sense in asking what your next topic for the Golden newsletter will be...........Cancer scare? Waiting for the results? Stress the importance of checking your dog all over - massage?

     
  • At 23:22, Anonymous Amy J said…

    God is GOOD! so glad He was there for you! how wonderful His peace is!

     
  • At 23:23, Anonymous Ann said…

    I'm glad that Sophie is doing well. Neat pictures of the children with her.

     
  • At 23:24, Anonymous PKGladding said…

    Wendy, hope Sophie continues to recover well. I do miss seeing her at church! It was great to see you out there Sunday.

     
  • At 23:24, Anonymous Dianne said…

    She's one remarkable dog, and you do such a good job of showing us that in your writing, Wendy - thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home