DEAR SOPHIE

LETTERS TO MY SERVICE DOG ... The link to my personal blog, WENDY-LAND, is listed at right.

13 June 2008

A Day Without You

Dear Sophie,
Remember I told you that you've seen the last of Las Vegas? Well, you haven't, not by a long shot. Yesterday I spent 16 long hours there, during which time I came to fully appreciate just how much you do for me and how much I depend on you. Tackling that city's streets is no longer anything I should do alone.
How does a deer feel when he's alone in the middle of a street and sees the headlights of an oncoming car? He doesn't know which way to move or where to run, so he freezes right where he's at and prays he won't get hit. That's just how I felt too many times yesterday.
Sure, I managed somehow and emerged physically unscathed but it was incredibly unnerving! Such a simple thing as crossing a street was terrifying as I got turned around and had no idea how far it was to the other side, or even if I was going straight. That's not to mention the balance and stumbling issues along the way that got me disoriented in the first place.I'm going back for a few days next week, Sophie, and you're going with me. It won't be so hard on you this time, staying with Tom & Carol, with plenty of nice grassy areas to take you outside in. Most of the trip you can be out of harness, a regular dog ... but for those occasions when I'll need you, you'll be oh so priceless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home