DEAR SOPHIE

LETTERS TO MY SERVICE DOG ... The link to my personal blog, WENDY-LAND, is listed at right.

11 July 2007

Longest Stay

Dear Sophie,
Wow, did you earn a cookie tonight! I'll go to my grave believing God never intended for anyone to actually live in this hot, ugly, nasty, filthy desert but, since we do, we're going to encounter some mighty ugly, nasty, filthy creatures, namely Palo Verde beetles. Palo Verde Beetle ... Every July it's the same old story ushering in the summer monsoons, and tonight we encountered two of the deadly beasties in the back yard (deadly only because they can scare you to death; not really poisonous). Of course when I found one, I freaked out and put you on a "stay" in the middle of the yard. With all the terror and panic going on for the several minutes it took to kill the bug, I was shocked when you held your stay like a champ. All the hard work we've done with your training just keeps paying off over and over and over and over ...

2 Comments:

  • At 07:22, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you, Wendy. People weren't meant to live in the desert. Seems very counter-intuitive, don't you think? Humans can't survive more than a few days without water, and yet, where are some of our biggest cities? In deserts that by their very nature have little or no water! (Think LA, the eastern parts of San Diego, Phoenix, etc.)

    Good dog, Sophie! Way to hold that down-stay! :)

    Love,
    Kasey

    P.S. - I used to have a blogger account for leaving comments, but I can't remember my sign-in info, so I'm posting anonymously now.

     
  • At 05:51, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Wendy.. this is wonderful (the stay, not the beetle *shivers*) Those are some nasty looking things!

    GO SOPHIE!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home